Surface: 166 Ha
Cities are not a problem for a new sustainable way of life, they are part of the solution. We propose an urban complex to analyze and propose the different vectors of sustainability and seek self-sufficiency. We developed a changing part of the city of Barcelona. General strategies for achieving these objectives are the following:
– Creation of a new balance between the built environment and building-free zones.
– To establish the physical basis to facilitate social inclusion, the sense of belonging, easy access to basic rights (housing, schooling, health, mobility …) services and equipment in general and the promotion of equal opportunities.
– Intensive occupation of the built up area.
– Systematic mix of the uses over the territory and balanced quantitative relationship between them, in order not to cause unwanted modes of mobility.
– Spatial and functional integration of agriculture as a primary urban use.
– Facilitate a massive mobility with very low environmental impact and ensure universal internal mobility and enough external connectivity so as to avoid inequality caused by the fact of having or not a private car.
– Minimize environmental energy impact , especially in those critical points such as fossil fuel for mobility and thermal consumption for conditioning which, in Spain, occupies 84% of this impact.
– Rationalize water use, in a country with cyclic ditches in a sharpening process.
– Manage waste so that its revaluation includes them again in the cycle of life.
– Remake a new weft or urban pattern, being able to synthesize and learn from the quantitative and qualitative parameters of the historical traces of the city.
-Recognize the potential of the intensive city, developed in different levels, like a complex superposition of stratus that try to reproduce the properties of the ground floor in a vertical way.
These objectives must be consistent with good connections to adjacent neighborhoods and the city in general. We investigate the size of the intervention so as to achieve the critical mass that allows to choose the most efficient scale for the solution of the faced problems (scarce resources, waste, mobility, agriculture integration, social inclusion … ) and that this integrated solutions generate synergies.